Renesas Launches R-Car Gen3e With Up to 20 Percent Higher CPU Speed for Automotive Infotainment, Cockpit, and Digital Cluster Systems
New SoCs Add 2GHz Speeds, Higher Application Integration, Increased Functional Safety for Entry- to Mid-Range Systems with Maximum Scalability and Software Re-Use from R-Car Gen3
TOKYO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#IVI–Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE:6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today added a new series to its popular R-Car system-on-chips (SoCs) with the R-Car Gen3e. Featuring six new members, the new R-Car Gen3e series of SoCs offers a scalable lineup for entry- to mid-range automotive applications that require high-quality graphics rendering, such as integrated cockpit domain controllers, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI), digital instrument cluster, driver monitoring systems, and LED matrix light.
The new devices extend the successful R-Car Gen3 SoC products with increased CPU performance up to 50k DMIPS and 2GHz speeds to help carmakers navigate demands for continuous user experience, security, and safety improvements.
Renesas provides Winning Combination solutions featuring the R-Car Gen3e devices to shorten development time and reduce bill of materials (BOM) costs. Customers can combine the R-Car Gen3e devices with Renesas’ high-accuracy timing ICs, power management products.
“With the growing popularity of applications such as augmented reality navigation and AI-based digital automotive assistants, OEMs and Tier 1s need to balance the skyrocketing demand for larger, higher resolution displays and high-performance chips with rising BOM costs and longer development times, ” said Naoki Yoshida, Vice President Automotive Digital Products Marketing at Renesas. “The new R-Car Gen3e devices and reference solutions offer a seamless and cost-effective migration path, providing full compatibility and easy integration with Renesas’ current R-Car Gen3 SoCs to make it quicker and easier for customers to bring their automotive-grade applications to market.”
Key Features of the R-Car Gen3e SoCs: R-Car D3e, R-Car E3e, R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, R-Car H3Ne, and R-Car H3e
- Increased CPU performance – up to 2GHz for the R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, and R-Car H3e devices
- On-chip real-time Arm® Cortex® R7 CPU to eliminate the need for an external vehicle controller combined with a Renesas PMIC, reducing overall BOM costs
- Reduced development times with reference solutions for fast boot, HMI, and functional safety
- Board support packages updated with the latest versions of the Linux and Android operating systems
R-Car Gen3e Reference Solutions
- Pre-integrated software enables higher application integration, for example for 2D/3D cluster HMI, welcome animation, rear-view camera, and surround view applications
- VirtIO technology allows developers to easily add the reference solutions to existing applications without changing the existing Linux or Android application
- Supports ASIL-B system safety requirements for applications such as telltale monitoring and camera freeze detection, as well as for true hardware separation in non-hypervisor cockpits
- The R-Car Consortium (RCC) partner ecosystem includes system integrators, middleware/application developers, and operating system and tools vendors, providing innovative solutions for the connected Car, ADAS, and gateway markets that enable customers to reduce development time and accelerate time to market for new products.
The R-Car Gen3e SoCs are available now in samples. For more information, please visit:
For more information on Renesas R-Car Gen3e Reference Solutions, please visit:
[Blog] Renesas’ new R-Car Gen3e family upgrades the popular R-Car Gen3 for automotive infotainment, cockpit, and digital cluster.
For more information on Renesas automotive Winning Combinations, go to
About Renesas Electronics Corporation
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) delivers trusted embedded design innovation with complete semiconductor solutions that enable billions of connected, intelligent devices to enhance the way people work and live. A global leader in microcontrollers, analog, power, and SoC products, Renesas provides comprehensive solutions for a broad range of automotive, industrial, Infrastructure, and IoT applications that help shape a limitless future. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
(Remarks). Arm and Arm Cortex are registered trademarks of Arm Limited in the EU and other countries. All names of products or services mentioned in this press release are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Renesas Electronics Corporation