|Page (1) of 1 - 02/27/18||email article||print page|
Himax Presents Android Smartphone with Industry’s Leading 3D Sensing Solution at 2018 Mobile World Congress(February 27, 2018)
TAINAN, Taiwan, Feb. 27, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Himax Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq:HIMX) (“Himax” or “Company”), a leading supplier and fabless manufacturer of display drivers and other semiconductor and optical products, today presented Android smartphone samples equipped with the industry’s highest quality 3D sensing total solution with outstanding face recognition capability at the 2018 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The solution is now ready for mass production.
SLiMTM, Himax’s structured light based 3D sensing total solution which the Company jointly announced with Qualcomm last August, brings together Qualcomm’s industry leading 3D algorithm with Himax’s cutting-edge design and manufacturing capabilities in optics and near infrared sensors as well as unique know-how in 3D sensing system integration. The Qualcomm/Himax solution is by far the best performing 3D sensing and face recognition total solution available for the Android smartphone market right now.
The key features of the Himax SLiMTM 3D sensing total solution include:
- Dot projector: More than 33,000 invisible dots, the highest in the industry, projected onto object to build the most sophisticated 3D depth map among all structured light solutions
- Depth map accuracy: Error rate of < 1% within the entire operation range of 20cm-100cm
- Face recognition: Enabled by the most sophisticated 3D depth data to build unique facial map that can be used for instant unlock and secure online payment
- Indoor/outdoor sensitivity: Superior sensing capability even under total darkness or bright sunlight
- Eye safety: Certified for IEC 60825 Class 1, the international laser product standard which governs laser product safety under all conditions of normal use with naked eyes
- Glass broken detection: Patented glass broken detection mechanism in the dot projector whereby laser is shut down instantaneously in the event of broken glass in the projector
- Power consumption: Less than 400mW for projector, sensor and depth decoding combined, making it the lowest power consuming 3D sensing device by far among all structured light solutions
- Module size: the smallest structured light solution in the market, ideal for embedded and mobile device integration
“3D sensing is among the most significant new features for smartphone. We are pleased to announce that our SLiMTM total solution is now ready for mass production. It outperforms all the peers targeting Android market in each and all aspects of engineering. We are working with multiple tier-1 Android smartphone makers, on target to launch 3D sensing on their premium smartphones starting the first half of 2018,” said Jordan Wu, President and Chief Executive Officer of Himax Technologies.
About Himax Technologies, Inc.
Himax Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:HIMX) is a fabless semiconductor solution provider dedicated to display imaging processing technologies. Himax is a worldwide market leader in display driver ICs and timing controllers used in TVs, laptops, monitors, mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, car navigation, virtual reality (VR) devices and many other consumer electronics devices. Additionally, Himax designs and provides controllers for touch sensor displays, in-cell Touch and Display Driver Integration (TDDI) single-chip solutions, LED driver ICs, power management ICs, scaler products for monitors and projectors, tailor-made video processing IC solutions, silicon IPs and LCOS micro-displays for augmented reality (AR) devices and head-up displays (HUD) for automotive. The Company also offers digital camera solutions, including CMOS image sensors and wafer level optics for AR devices, 3D sensing and machine vision, which are used in a wide variety of applications such as mobile phone, tablet, laptop, TV, PC camera, automobile, security, medical devices and Internet of Things. Founded in 2001 and headquartered in Tainan, Taiwan, Himax currently employs around 2,150 people from three Taiwan-based offices in Tainan, Hsinchu and Taipei and country offices in China, Korea, Japan and the US. Himax has 3,032 patents granted and 424 patents pending approval worldwide as of December 31th, 2017. Himax has retained its position as the leading display imaging processing semiconductor solution provider to consumer electronics brands worldwide.
Forward Looking Statements
Factors that could cause actual events or results to differ materially include, but not limited to, general business and economic conditions and the state of the semiconductor industry; market acceptance and competitiveness of the driver and non-driver products developed by the Company; demand for end-use applications products; reliance on a small group of principal customers; the uncertainty of continued success in technological innovations; our ability to develop and protect our intellectual property; pricing pressures including declines in average selling prices; changes in customer order patterns; changes in estimated full-year effective tax rate; shortages in supply of key components; changes in environmental laws and regulations; exchange rate fluctuations; regulatory approvals for further investments in our subsidiaries; our ability to collect accounts receivable and manage inventory and other risks described from time to time in the Company's SEC filings, including those risks identified in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in its Form 20-F for the year ended December 31, 2016 filed with the SEC, as may be amended.
Jackie Chang, CFO
Tel: +886-2-2370-3999 Ext.22300
US Tel: +1-949-585-9838 Ext.252
Email: [email protected]